“Looking back on 2019, it was a bit of a mixed bag of emotions. It was full of the highest highs – from family engagements, travelling and buying my first house, to experiencing one of the most stressful and testing times – buying my first house!”
HELLO 2020! And hello new decade!
My very first post of the year! So it only seemed fitting to have a post looking back on 2019 and to set myself a few goals before getting stuck into all of the new content I have coming up.
We may be into the first week of the New Year already, but I’m only just about ready to get back into the swing of things. The New Year doesn’t fully kick off until the 6th anyway, right?!
Going away to Vienna for New Year meant I’ve been on catch up since to get everything in order before going back to work tomorrow. The house has now been cleaned, tidied and put back to normal post-Christmas. The food shop has been done. Goals for this year have been set. My blogging schedule for the year has been updated and planned out. And now I’m ready to get going with 2020 tomorrow!
NEW YEAR, NEW YEAR…
I always feel a bit weird about an upcoming New Year. There’s always so much hype around it – whether that’s just the night itself, or having grand plans for the year ahead. It can be daunting, and for me often brings with it some small level of anxiety. A part of me freaks out that one year is over. And the other part worries about the unknown that a New Year brings.
Having said that, this year, I’m feeling super excited for everything 2020 has to offer. I already know it’s going to be a BIG one full of lots of amazing memories!
My sister is getting married for one! Which means planning her hen do too. Yay! It’s my other sisters 30th birthday. Which means even more celebrations! We have a few other weddings we’ll be attending too – one of which will be in Sicily. It will be mine and Harry’s 5 year anniversary in the summer. And we’ll be fully kicking off with our renovation on the house which I am so, so excited for! Plus, there’s a few other special surprises which will be revealed in due course…
LOOKING BACK ON 2019
Looking back on 2019, it was a bit of a mixed bag of emotions. It was full of the highest highs – from family engagements, travelling and buying my first house, to experiencing one of the most stressful and testing times – buying my first house!
But, looking through these photos makes me feel immensely proud and happy. Everything I’ve been lucky enough to experience in 2019, my achievements and the memories created along the way. I can’t help but smile when I look at these because really, 2019 was bloody good to me. Here’s a few of my top highlights…
A FEW HIGHLIGHTS OF 2019…
- WE BOUGHT A HOUSE! You can read all about it here, here, here and here… (there was lots to fill you in on!) but it’s one of my biggest achievements to date. Looking back, it was 8 very long months of all-consuming stress to sell Harry’s house, trying to buy one we loved, have that fall through to then finally end up with our house now. It’s 100% one of my biggest achievements to date and I can now say the stress was worth it. I’m a homeowner!!
2. Both of my sisters got engaged! Which means two major hen do’s and two major weddings to look forward to!
3. A long weekend in Copenhagen. A 17 day trip travelling around Thailand. A weekend in Falmouth. And a long weekend to see in the New Year in Vienna.
Harry and I have always loved going away on holiday. 2019 was a very good year for this! We fell in love with Copenhagen. Thailand was a trip of a lifetime with so many amazing memories made. Falmouth was the perfect UK getaway to escape for a little while from all of the house stress. And Vienna was the perfect finish to an eventful year.
I always count ourselves very lucky to be able to go away and see so much of the world. We work hard to be able to do it, but I never take it for granted. Looking back through these photos fills me with so much joy. 2019 really was a great year for us.
4. I relaunched this blog! It took a lot longer than anticipated, but I got there in the end and it felt so good to be back online, doing what I love. 2019 was a busy year in my personal life, which meant I wasn’t spending as much time on my blog as I wanted. But, this year it’s one of my main focuses. I’m so excited to bring you lots of content in 2020 that I hope you’ll love just as much as me!
5. I was lucky enough to collaborate with even more great brands I love. Magnum, Dermalogica, Orbitkey, Eylure and Organic Basics, to name a few. I’m so proud that this hobby gives me so many amazing opportunities and I can’t wait to see what 2020 offers.
6. I learnt even more about myself and have (slowly) learnt that showing my vulnerable side and opening up doesn’t make me vulnerable, with this post to my Dad. I’m naturally a very private person, but I feel like 2019 was a massive step in the right direction.
7. Despite taking a bit of a backseat with madelaineblogs.com in 2019, I made even more connections with you guys – in particular on Instagram. There’s so many of you that I speak to on the regular just to catch up with and have a bit of a natter, which I LOVE and will forever be grateful for. I can’t wait for that to continue this year.
PERSONAL GOALS FOR 2020…
As for my goals this year, I’ve made a few that I’m going to try really hard to stick with. They’re not New Year resolutions as such. Just different things I’d like to do or achieve in 2020 to help give me some focus. In no particular order…
- Read at least 20 books by the end of 2020. I’ll be sharing all of the books I read with you on Instagram so you can check them out too!
- Get outdoors more! And move more! Sitting down at a desk all day is no good for my health, so I’ll really be trying to up my step count this year.
- Start (and finish) the complete renovation of the downstairs of our house. This is a biggy, and may not be possible depending on costs and how long each job takes. But it’s definitely a goal to work towards!
- Focus more on madelaineblogs.com by working smarter, not harder. I’ve already put a plan in place for posts to do throughout the whole of 2020, and I’m so excited to really grow my blog this year.
- Spend less time on my phone. This goes hand in hand with reading more books. I want to actively spend less time mindlessly scrolling through my phone this year – in particular when I go to bed. Instead, I’ll be replacing my phone with a book to fully wind down and switch off!
And that’s it! I’m feeling very excited about this new decade, and I can’t wait to see what 2020 brings.
I hope you’re all feeling fresh and ready to start this New Year – whether it’s simply to focus more on yourself and your wellbeing, or if you have lots of plans already lined up.
Here’s to a healthy, happy and FUN 2020!